Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Assessing Meaningful Learning with Technology

Authentic and Performance Assessment

It is logical that in order to evaluate meaningful learning, there must be meaningful assessments. Jonassen proposes that we rid ourselves of the old, outdated forms of assessment and pursue authentic assessment that matches the authentic learning that is taking place. I would agree that it makes no sense to have a well thought out lesson, with authentic, meaningful learning, and then continue to have a meaningless list of questions for a student to answer. Traditional quizzes are in not necessarily bad, but they just might be inappropriate.


It is commonly known among educators, that proper assessment tests what the student has learned, and should be in a way that the student learned it. Just as it is illogical for a baseball player to practice, practice, practice his curve ball and then never throw it. If he just took a quiz on proper form at the end…what was the point? In the same way, a student should practice, practice, practice for the game! This might not be the best analogy…but it makes sense to me!

Technology-Based Assessments

With my first glance at this section I thought, “I hope this is more than just an online test or quiz!” I think that many teachers may look at a test on the computer as an alternative form of assessment. I would strongly disagree. Even though it may be slightly more enjoyable or even slightly easier (depending on the student this may or may not be true) to use a computer, this is definitely not an alternative assessment.

Jonassen addresses this specifically when he says, “the use of technology to support assessment has developed beyond simply placing traditional forms of assessment in digital format.” While I was happy at first to hear that he agreed with me, I realized that it was probably Jonassen who taught me to think of technology in these terms in the first place!

My Assessment of the Assessment for EME 4401

AHA! So this is the chapter where the learning artifacts came from! While I can’t say that I enjoy creating learning artifacts (mostly because I am a college student who sees them as just another obligation getting in the way of my Tuesday evenings ;)), I can say that I learn a lot from them. I am actually forced to think about the content and to create my own demonstration of learning. These are phrases that I have used before in describing assessments, but through the learning artifacts I feel as though I actually have some personal experience to support the statements. When I write my reflection I am actually mediating on the material at hand. I apply it to prior knowledge almost unintentionally. While it may not feel like I am learning a whole lot, the truth of the matter is that I am actually retaining knowledge. Instead of simply memorizing information for a test or answering a list of questions to get a check plus, I really feel that new knowledge is being assimilated into my brain. Even though my motivation to produce these artifacts is external, along the way I do, in fact, learn.

I agree that on-going assessment through electronic portfolios (which this blog kind of is) is a meaningful way of assessment. It provides students with the opportunity to present their best work, work that they have constructed and made meaning out of on their own.

I also appreciated Jonassen’s views on how E-portfolios offer teachers flexibility in terms of how they are implemented. Teachers can offer feedback along the way and even open up the floor for peer review. I am a huge advocate of ongoing assessment for students. This kind of assessment sets students up for success; it rids assessment of some of the misunderstandings that can come with communication of expectations for projects or assignments. If a student misunderstands part of the assignment, as the teacher gives feedback the student can be directed in the right way. Part of my job as a teacher will be to set my students up to succeed and learn.

As I analyze the format of this class, I can see the intentionality in the way that assessment takes place. The contracts set us up for success. We know exactly what will be expected of us to receive and A, B or C. This fulfills that consuming craving that has been deeply instilled in us to get good grades. Within the contracts, there are clear expectations for each assignment…but not in the form of a grading scale. Through our artifacts we are required only to demonstrate our learning. If the instructor feels as though we adequately demonstrated learning, then we receive credit for that learning. If we have not properly demonstrated learning, than we can try again.

I think that the types of assignments we are given foster meaningful learning, and that the assessment system matches the meaningfulness of the assignments. It is not busy work or mindless production, but real learning is taking place and then being demonstrated. Learning by doing and learning by reflecting. Even in the assessments, learning is taking place.

Clickers and Rubrics

I have never been in a classroom at any educational level that has used clickers. I have heard about classrooms using them at the university level, but never at an elementary level. From what I have heard from peers, clickers are used for enormous auditorium classes to take attendance or short quizzes. I have never heard good feedback from them. After reading Jonassens take on them, I can see how they could be potentially beneficial in the classroom. I can see how assessing in real time can benefit a teacher's instruction and allow her to change instruction to meet student needs very quickly. It is hard to formatively assess the entire class all at once, but clickers can allow that to happen. Even when a teacher asks questions to check the entire classes understanding, it is often through a raising of the hand or some other visual communication. Students can easily read each other, and not really know the answers themselves. While this kind of "cheating" can still happen with clickers, I think it is a little less likely.

Rubrics are not all that new to me as an education student. I have created them a lot, and most things that are graded in my classes are done through rubrics.



No comments: